Saturday 29 March 2014

Flash Fiction.

We were told to pick a word in class and write a piece of flash fiction on it, however I was not fully intrigued and inspired by any of the words so went looking for something else that was a little different that I could write a short piece of fiction on. I managed to find a new story on the Daily Mail website and a new proposed site for the historical Camelot and based my piece on this news story:


"Camelot? Here? In Brookfield Road..." Tony almost chocked out when his next door neighbour  told him as he was trimming the bushes in front of the house that had grown just a little too tall for his wife's particular garden. His wife could become a fire breather when she was not in a good mood. He half chuckled to himself even at this, imagining if this was the site of the historical kingdom it would only be hilarious if his better half was a dragon reincarnated to keep the site guarded from anything unwanted. In the whole 40 years that he had lived in the col-de-sac had he ever believed such a imagination would be so powerful to come up with such an idea.

He looked away from the rose bush that he was so carefully pruning to face his neighbour, tilting his cap up a little to still block the sun but also see his neighbour so that he could hear all the oddness of the story that was about to be told.

"Yeah, some author has been doing some really in depth research about the area. Turns out this sits on some inter-crossing or road links that they would have used at the time to move in and out of the castle. And then he goes on to explain  that the wood just down the track that leads to the pond would have come into the legend of the king also with the idea of the 'Lady of the lake'. Who knows eh Ton?" my neighbour explained.

I stood still, letting it all soak into my mind for a moment. I couldn't not think of how interesting the whole idea was. After all there was that theme park with the namesake built a few years back and had only just been shut down. Perhaps the guys that had built it had known something that maybe we didn't. But then again, although maybe the geography fit into the idea well surely the pond at the end of the track wasn't big enough to have fitted in with the idea of a lake after all. And wouldn't historians have already searched the entirety of it for the 'magical' Excalibur? There was too many variable for both sides of the argument I thought, the believers I guessed would think it was true and perhaps they would even come and start looking around trying to find evidence. That's all we needed in our nice quite col-de-sac was bloody tourists and fans of the so called King Arthur. I took off my cap and rubbed my slightly balding head, replaced the gap and let out a sigh. Maybe it was all just an early April fools in March.

"What do you think of it all then Myriddin?" I asked my neighbour,


He took in a deep breath and thought of his answer for a few moments, looking up at the new clear blue spring sky, "I believe that myths and legends all have a way of living on and coming around again..."

No comments:

Post a Comment